Retro Cabinet Card by Katy

I have a bit of an antidote from Christmas for all of those of you who might already be sick of seeing Santas and Snowmen! I created a retro-style cabinet card with a love theme using one of my favourite Rubber Dance stamps called Retro Couple.

I want to quickly talk you through how I coloured the image, creating this vintage tinted look.

1) Stamp your image onto GLOSSY card with permanent ink (StazOn or Archival). You must use glossy for this technique to work and you must also allow the ink to dry completely - I'd recommend heat setting it to be totally sure it's 100% dry.

2) The key to this technique is to work quickly without much hesitation as you need to move the ink around before it dries. Using water-based markers (I used Distress Markers) scribble all over a particular area with a chosen colour - for example I used Tattered Rose on the faces. Quickly wipe over the colour with a piece of kitchen roll or a soft cloth. Some of the colour will adhere to the card but most will be removed giving you a very soft effect.

3) Repeat step 2 to build up colour depth as shading as desired, wiping the ink with a clean piece of kitchen roll each time. Simple as that!


The cabinet card (Tim Holtz die) is decorated with Tim Holtz papers and embellishments and I finished it by stamping the Rubber Dance quote, cutting it into pieces, and using it to frame the focal image.

I used the gorgeous Nostalgic Couples set for this project (the stamp of the couple - called Retro Couple - is also available as a single).



Hope you like :)
Katy x

PS: Don't miss out on the SALE at the Rubber Dance webshop!



Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
Thank you, Katy! That technique sounds like fun to do and your stamped image turned out really well - I like those muted colours. Lovely frame! I also love how you have cute the sentiment stamp up and put it around the frame like that. All in all a most lovely piece or art! :-)
XOX
Craftyfield said…
Beautiful project Katy, love the colouring technique a bit like photo tinting of old! I have a weakness for photo realistic stamps so the Nostalgic couples plate is my idea of stamping heaven...
And yes, what a relief from Santas!!!
Susanne Rose said…
Your card is so so beautiful!!
Artatag said…
Oh Katy, this is so romantic! A gorgeous project! Love everything about it! The hearts are very cool! It would make a wonderful Valentine!
xox
Majo said…
Such a neat technique, love it, Katy!

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness is a state of mind - Art Journal Page

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Join our Combined Blog Hop!